Community Rail Week, sponsored by Rail Delivery Group, returns for its third year from 22 to 28 May and will showcase the innovative projects and inspiring initiatives from across the community rail movement around the theme of ‘Connecting Communities by Rail’.
This theme will enable us to showcase the inspiring work that goes on in community rail bringing people together and creating more inclusive communities and mobility, as well as the wider socio-economic benefit that the railways deliver.
‘Connecting Communities by Rail’ provides us with an opportunity to raise the profile of the work community rail delivers to help tackle social isolation and loneliness providing communities with access to opportunities they otherwise may not have had.
We’re encouraging everyone in community rail to get involved in this year’s Community Rail Week. Whether you organise a new activity or event, build on and develop existing initiatives or simply highlight projects you’ve delivered in the past, ‘Connecting Communities by Rail’ is all about celebrating your work and highlighting the benefits it brings to local communities.
This year’s theme will enable you to get involved whether you’re working on social inclusion initiatives, youth engagement, the development of community hubs at stations or ensuring stations are welcoming and safe. Or you may want to consider working on new initiatives to help tackle social inclusion and barriers to travel, Community Rail Week could help you get started on this work.
- Raise the profile of community rail and the role it plays in connecting communities and helping to tackle social isolation
- Amplify and elevate members’ stories providing them with the tools to reach a larger audience with their messages and promotions
- Encourage more people to use the train as a sustainable, healthy way to travel
- Showcasing the role community rail plays in enabling people to access work, education and other opportunities that may otherwise be out of reach
- Deliver positive online social engagement about rail engaging with partners and showing unity with the wider railway industry
How to get involved
Community Rail Week will be driven by a programme full of activities, developed by members with support from Community Rail Network. Community rail partnerships and station volunteer groups are encouraged to develop their own activity for the week and deliver local PR and communications, drawing on our tools as needed, around the ‘Connecting Communities by Rail’ theme. We’ve provided suggestions for activities in our members’ briefing here and you can see highlights from last year’s event below.